Simple and in Season Spring – Now Open!

Spring has finally arrived, although today’s rain may be trying to convince us otherwise. We’re firmly into British asparagus season and I’ve seen plenty of it about. I’ve already been enjoying visiting some of your posts and recipes and coming up with some recipes of my own, including this simple British Asparagus and Westcombe Cheddar Tart now up on JamieOliver.com. I bought some gorgeous Lincolnshire asparagus today from my local deli and am thinking about what to make for tonight’s dinner as  I type. There are also plenty of freshly picked Jersey Royals about, wild garlic, and I’ve started to spot some British summer fruits, too. Don’t forget though that you can share whatever is in season where you live!

Asparagus Tart

A big thank you to Michelle over at Utterly Scrummy for hosting April’s Simple and in Season. So many of you entered and Michelle did a sterling job of rounding up all of the recipes here. I’m launching May’s round today – open until the end of May. Although since baby number three is due to make an appearance early in June, I may be extending the deadline into June! In the meantime, it’s business as usual and I’ll be popping over and read any posts that you link up. Don’t forget to also share your posts on Twitter/Facebook using the hashtag #SimpleandinSeason and I’ll share any that I see.

Simple and in Season

HERE’S A QUICK RE-CAP ON THE GUIDELINES:

• All you have to do is come up with a dish using any seasonal produce you like (savoury or sweet) post it on your blog, add a link to this post mentioning Simple and in Season and linking to www.renbehan.com and then manually add the link to your post in the box below (via the Linky Tools form below)
  • This round will run up until 30th May 2014. I will publish a round-up post including everyone who has entered.
  • You can take inspiration from anywhere – adapt a recipe from your favourite cookbook, try something from a magazine, make up your own creation or share a family favourite. The usual rules apply when using someone else’s recipe, please either get permission from the author to post it or adapt it in some way stating how/why you’ve changed it.
  • Include any seasonal produce you fancy including fruit, veg, herbs, meat or fish.
  • Link as many recipes as you like. You can link posts entered into other blog events or carnivals as long as it involves a seasonal food item (and fits in with their rules).
  • The linky-up is open to anyone, anywhere. I’m happy to post prizes abroad and although it will be nice to feature as much British produce as possible, it will be interesting to see what’s in season elsewhere.
  • By entering your link, you are giving me permission to add your photograph to the round-up. I will link back directly to your post when I include you.
  • If you have questions or problems, email me or leave me a comment in the comment box at the bottom of the post.
  • If you are on Twitter, tweet your link adding the hashtag #simpleandinseason or add me @RenBehan and I will re-tweet it.

ADD YOUR RECIPE LINK HERE:

Looking forward to seeing all of your seasonal entries.

Don’t forget to visit the Food Blog Diary, too for details of other events you can link up to at the same time.

Keep in touch!

Subscribe now to the Ren Behan Food newsletter twice a month - delivered to your inbox!

Comments

This is a really good idea. I am setting myself a challenge that will really need seasonal produce – thank you for the inspiration.

Hi Ren, I am finally back to blogging after a long break.
    Thank you again for the lovely book I am really enjoying it.
    I have entered my fruit tart which I have enjoyed today with my children :-)
    Take care
    Alida X

Your asparagus tart looks wonderful Ren. And I’m inspired, will hopefully add an entry this month. I didn’t realise you were so close to having baby number 3 – how exciting! Best of luck. x

Gosh, not long to go now Ren. Hope you aren’t feeling too uncomfortable. Your asparagus tart looks so good, I want to sneak a piece out of that tin.

So glad I could participate again this month. After cooking up a wild garlic and asparagus storm earlier in the week I was hoping the link for this would be up soon so I could join in. Such a lot of gorgeous produce at the moment – looking forward to seeing the other entries!

• Ren Behan says

Thank you Ceri – love you recipes, always and such an interesting post, too. Thanks for linking up x

Glad to join up this month. I hope you won’t get sick of me because most everything I post these days is simple and in season ;-) Good luck with the remaining weeks. I hope you are as comfy as you can be and allowing yourself to be a bit pampered. At least you aren’t miserable with a heatwave!

• Ren Behan says

Thank you so much Kellie – about to pop over for a look. I’d never get sick of you!!!!! True – waiting for the heatwave to kick in but I don’t think it’s coming!

1. […] This week the National Vegetarian Society is urging us to ‘go green’ and have a go at being vegetarian for a week beginning Monday 19th May to Sunday 25th May 2014. We’ve decided to join in as a family with National Vegetarian Week this year and we’re very much looking forward to experimenting with some of the tasty seasonal recipes highlighted in the slider below. I’ve also got plenty of vegetarian cookbooks to keep us going, favourites include Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall’s River Cottage Veg Every Day and Eat Your Veg by Authur Potts Dawson. I’ll also be keeping an eye on Jacqueline’s blog, Tinned Tomatoes, as she will be posting a new vegetarian recipe each day (starting today with a bright and colourful rocket hummus)  as well as trying some of your recent entries into Simple and in Season Spring. […]