I can’t believe we’ve almost hit Shrove Tuesday, or Pancake Day, on the foodie calendar. This means it’s very nearly time to start our Lenten fasts and use up all of the eggs, sugar and sweet things from our cupboards. Of course, it never really is the end of all the sweet stuff, but it’s a good occasion to mark, in any case. Now, I’m afraid I’ve been a bad blogger and haven’t posted any recipes very recently, so I’m hoping to appease you all with one of my very favoruite pancake recipes – Blueberry and Vanilla Cheesecake Pancakes – yes, it’s a (no-bake) cheesecake, in a pancake, and there is no better thing, trust me. The good folks over at ASDA challenged me to come up with something unusual and so I hope I met the challenge with these. Once you’ve made your vanilla cream cheese pancake filling, simply fill your pancakes with the filling adding almost any fruit, sprinkle over your cheesecake biscuit crumbs and a drizzle of maple syrup (or some fruity sauce) for good measure and you’ll experience something very special indeed.
To make my pancakes, I tried out Asda’s new mix-o-meter, which cleverly allows you to type in the number of people you are cooking for and the number of pancakes you’d like each. The mix-o-meter then works out the quantities of flour, eggs and milk that you’ll need. My pancakes turned out lovely and thin and crispy using this method, with just a little drizzle of oil in the pan for each one.
For even more Pancake Day inspiration, pop over to Asda’s website here where you’ll find some fun facts and tasty recipes.
Or, take a look at some of my other creations –
Polish Apple Pancakes (similar to American-style pancakes)
Creamy Chicken and Spinach (Savoury Dutch Pancakes)
Plus, come back later for my Rhubarb and Ginger Curd Pancakes!
Of course, you can guess what my four year old chose to pick up on our shopping trip….!
Here’s my recipe:
Blueberry and Vanilla Cheesecake Pancakes
Pancakes filled with a sweet vanilla cheesecake filling, and topped with blueberries and biscuit crumbs
- 8 thin pancakes or crepes
- 200g full fat cream cheese
- 150g Mascarpone Italian cheese
- 3 tbs icing sugar (plus extra for dusting)
- 100ml double cream
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 100g digestive biscuits, crushed to fine crumbs
- 3 tbsp melted butter
- Blueberries or other fruit to fill
- Whisk together the cream cheese, Mascarpone cheese and icing sugar until well combined. Add in the double cream and vanilla extract and whisk again. Set to one side.
- To make the cheesecake crumbs, stir the melted butter into the digestive crumbs - you should have a sandy mixture.
- Heat the pancakes gently, then fill each pancake with a few spoonfuls of the cheesecake mixture. Sprinkle over some blueberries or other fresh fruit and then the sandy cheesecake biscuit crumbs. Fold each pancake over, dust with icing sugar and drizzle over some maple syrup or fruity sauce.
With many thanks to ASDA for the supermarket vouchers to enable me to shop for the ingredients and create this post. All ingredients were purchased at ASDA.
ASDA will be picking their favoruite recipe and the winner will receive a prize.