Pancakes are definitely not just for Shrove Tuesday. You can rustle up these pancakes with a creamy chicken, mushroom and spinach filling in less than fifteen minutes, particularly if you use good quality, ready made pancakes as your base. We all love a shortcut.
The folks at Abra-ca-Debora pancakes sent me a couple of packets of their new Dutch pancakes to try, along with some ingredients. I had the choice of savoury (original pancakes) or sweet and since I often make pancakes for tea, I thought I’d try them with a savoury filling.
On their beautiful website, there are some more super-simple recipes to try. Make sure you take a look at these mincemeat pancakes with brandy cream, the super-fast sausage Bolognese pancakes are yummy, too. For a sweet treat, we’ve been filling ours with a classic combo of banana and Nutella, but there are some lovely ideas on the website, too, such as Sweet Dutch pancakes with cinnamon sugar.
Creamy Chicken and Spinach Savoury Dutch Pancakes
- 2 Abra-ca-Debora Original Dutch pancakes
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- 150g/one cup chestnut mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 100g/one cup cooked, leftover chicken breast or pieces
- 100g/two cups fresh baby spinach, washed
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 80ml/1/3 cup heavy/double cream
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the olive oil in a pan, add the garlic and mushrooms and cook for about three minutes. Add the cooked chicken pieces and spinach and stir together until the spinach wilts.
- Heat the pancakes in the microwave for one minute.
- Add the grated Parmesan cheese and cream to the chicken, mushrooms and spinach. Stir well and add sea salt and pepper to taste.
- Take the pancakes out of the microwave and spoon the creamy chicken sauce over the top just before serving.
It doesn’t get quicker, or tastier than this!
Keep a bag of fresh spinach and some mushrooms in the fridge over Christmas and you can make these with leftover turkey, too.
Thank you to Abra-ca-Debora for sending me the pancakes to try along with a selection of ingredients.
Are you a fan of pancakes throughout the year or just on Pancake Day?!
Lovely quick midweek meal! Can you tell us where these pancakes are stocked? I’ve only bought pancakes once and they were awful. As an ex-pat American it is in my DNA to like pancakes but I don’t often have them. Occasionally with homemade jam on a Saturday. Lovely photos btw. I wanted to lick the screen!
Thanks Kellie, yes there are starting to become available in most big supermarkets such as TESCO and Sainsbury in the fridge section. xx
Oh delicious, I could never save my pancakes for just Shrove Tuesday. Savoury versions such as this with spinach, mushrooms & chicken make a very good meal for the family. I will look out for these ready made pancakes!
Thanks Laura, yes, a great weeknight supper, and you can have the sweet ones for dessert 🙂
Shu Han says
I eat pancakes the whole year round 🙂 xxxx
Yay another pancake fan!