Poppy Seed and Plum Cake
- 8-10 English plums, stones removed
- 225g / one cup caster sugar
- 4 large free range eggs, lightly beaten
- 240ml/ one cup sunflower, vegetable or mild, light olive oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon orange or lemon zest
- 260g/ two cups self-raising flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 2 tablespoon icing sugar mixed with 1 teaspoon of cinnamon to dust
- Cream or a warm plum compote to serve
- Pre-heat your oven to 190 degrees Celsius/Gas Mark 5/375 F. Grease and line a rectangular baking tray with parchment.
- Chop the fresh plums in half and remove the stones.
- Put the caster sugar, eggs, oil and vanilla extract into a mixing bowl and whisk together well for 3-4 minutes until a pale and fluffy. Add in the zest and mix again.
- Sift in the flour and baking powder and gently fold or mix with a metal spoon until all the flour is incorporated. Sprinkle in the poppy seeds and mix again to combine.
- Pour the batter carefully into the tray and gently press the halved plums into the batter.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven for 35-40 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the centre of the tray bake.
- Leave to cool. Dust the cake with icing sugar mixed with a teaspoon of cinnamon and serve with cream and/or a warm plum compote.
Recipe by Ren Behan - Author Wild Honey and Rye at http://www.renbehan.com/2012/10/poppy-seed-and-plum-cake.html