I travelled as part of a press trip to Milan in Italy to visit Gallo, the Italian family business, established in 1856 and spanning 6 generations, to learn about rice and grains from the best in the business. This is one of the recipes I tried in Italy, using Gallo’s 3 Grain variety, with rice, spelt and barley, which I came home to re-create.
3 Grains (Rice, Spelt and Barley) with Chicken and Dill
A perfect balance of three cereal varieties, this recipe uses Riso Gallo 3 Grains, Italian Rice, Spelt and Pearl Barley – all with the same cooking time – just 18 minutes. This is a healthier alternative to a traditional risotto dish as it is higher in fibre.
- Olive oil
- 300g Riso Gallo 3 Grains (Rice, Barley & Spelt)
- 1 white onion, peeled chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled, finely chopped
- 1 stick celery, peeled, chopped
- 1 courgette, chopped
- 250g cooked chicken breast, chopped or shredded
- A splash of white wine or water
- Fresh dill
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Bring a large pan of salted water to the boil. Tip in the '3 grains' and cook for 18 minutes. If using the pre-cooked 3 Grains 'express' variety, you can skip this step.
- In the meantime, place a large frying pan onto a medium heat. Add a tablespoon of olive oil, add the onion and cook for five minutes until translucent. Add the carrots and celery and continue cooking.
- Once the vegetables have softened, add the courgette and chicken and cook for a further 5-6 minutes, adding a splash or wine or water to the pan.
- Drain the 3 grains, rinse and add them into the pan (or tip in a pre-cooked packet of grains).
- Drizzle over a little more olive oil, stir and coat all the grains and season with sea salt and black pepper. Ensure the chicken is piping hot.
- Serve, adding a little dill.
The dish can also be chilled and served cold, as a salad.
You may also like:
Katie’s Slimming World-Friendly Chicken, Dill and Vegetable Rice Pots, also inspired by our trip to Riso Gallo in Milan.
Samples provided by Riso Gallo, this is an unpaid recipe post.