Think of this as a hearty soup, suitable for stretching a little leftover bolognese. You could also use a jar of tomato sauce – a good quality one and add the same amount of stock to achieve a soup consistency. On other occasions, I’ve thrown in chopped, fried pepperoni, mushrooms or shredded chicken. A good sprinkle of mozzarella is a must and a big heap of grated Parmesan cheese for the top. Fresh basil or oregano is lovely, too. Get creative!
Rainy Day Pizza Pasta Soup
- 500 g/two cups Bolognese or good quality tomato sauce leftovers are ideal
- 250 ml/one cup vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 bay leaf
- sea salt
- black pepper
- 280 g/2 cups cooked pasta
- 100 g mozzarella torn or grated
- 100 g fresh Parmesan cheese
- 1 small bunch fresh basil leaves and stalks separated
- optional - fried pepperoni, mushrooms or shredded chicken
- Pour the Bolognese or tomato sauce into a large pan. On a medium heat, bring to the boil. Add in the stock and stir well. Add in the bay leaf. Stir in half a teaspoon each of sea salt and black pepper.
- When hot, add in the cooked pasta and stir. Remove the bay leaf Add the optional extras, such as pepperoni, if using. Divide the soup between four bowls.
- Add the torn mozzarella, and top with grated Parmesan cheese and a few basil leaves per bowl.
- Serve straight away
Let me know if you make this by tagging me on Instagram or Twitter as @foodren
Or, add your recipes and ideas to our Pizza Love Pinterest board (338K followers)