It’s almost time to start thinking about Christmas food. I say almost, because traditionally, I don’t really start thinking about Christmas food until December. However, the folks at Lurpak have invited me to take part in their Lurpak Christmas Menu this year and I’ve been tasked with creating an ‘amuse bouche’ or a ‘one bite wonder’ to get the party started. Happily, most of the thinking has been done for me, by Lurpak’s Facebook fans, who have been sending in their suggestions for their ultimate festive canapés. It was hard to pick just one recipe to recreate as there was so many great suggestions, but I was drawn to an idea by Lou Sharp who said that her one bite wonder would be a “Lurpak buttery pea puree topped with a chunk of cod and finished with a slice of chorizo.” So, here is my recreation of that idea – my Cod, Chorizo and Pea Purée Bites.
To create my festive canapés, I used Lurpak’s new Cook’s Range Cooking Liquid. I had great results with the Cooking Liquid when I created this Halibut with Herby Hollandaise earlier on in the year. The Cooking Liquid is a blend of rapeseed oil and butter, so it gives you a golden finish and a lovely flavour, too.
Hopefully, by the end of the challenge, I’ll be able to share the whole Lurpak Christmas Menu with you and you could also be in with the chance of winning all the ingredients from the menu, too. These party nibbles are incredibly easy to make, just follow the steps in my recipe below.
Cod, Chorizo and Pea Puree Bites – Lurpak Cook’s Range
- Lurpak Cook’s Range Cooking Liquid
- ½ sweet white onion or 2 large shallots
- 200g frozen peas
- 200g cod loin/ fillet, cut into small cubes
- 50g chorizo sausage, finely sliced
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Start by making the pea puree. Bring a large saucepan of salted water to the boil and add in the frozen peas. Cook for 5-6 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a separate, non-stick frying pan, add a tablespoon of the Lurpak Cook’s Range Cooking Liquid and gently fry the onions/shallots for around 5-6 minutes, until very soft and golden. Transfer the cooked onions to a blender.
- Drain the peas and add them to the blender, too. Add a tablespoon of Lurpak Cook’s Range Cooking Liquid, a pinch of sea salt and some freshly ground black pepper and blitz until fairly smooth. If you need to loosen the puree a little more, add a tablespoon of water. Return to the saucepan to keep warm.
- Next, add a tablespoon of Lurpak Cook’s Range Cooking Liquid to the frying pan and fry the cubes of cod on a gentle heat for 2-3 minutes per side. Season with a little sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Carefully remove the cod and place onto a plate. Add the sliced chorizo sausage to the pan and cook for one minute per side.
- To bring the bites together, take 12 individual spoons, add a teaspoon of pea puree to each spoon, a slice of chorizo and a cube of cod to each and serve immediately.
Serving Size 12
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
I hope you’ll give these a try over the festive period – I love the festive colours – the chorizo and the peas are a great contrast and the flavours work really well together.
If you’d like some more ideas for ‘one bite wonders’ – have a look at these ideas –
- Becca’s Boursin stuffed mushrooms in chilli garlic butter
- Sarah’s Chorizo canapes with mozzarella and rocket
- Helen’s Simple and delicious smoked salmon capanes
- Katie’s Goats cheese toasts with roast hazelnuts and chilli honey
- Jeanne’s Peppadew cheese puffs
- Cost of singulair at costco
- Cheap generic zetia
- Norvasc price in pakistan
- Cost of aggrenox
- Azilect generic price
With thanks to Lurpak for asking me to take part in their Christmas Menu feature.
I have been paid for the cost of the ingredients and my time in creating this recipe post.