I was having a chat on Twitter earlier on with Jacqueline from Tinned Tomatoes about the lovely sunny weather today, which made us both feel like eating salad. Totally the opposite to yesterday’s weather, which actually saw me making a huge Cottage Pie!
Beetroot, Feta and Walnut Salad
A light salad using seasonal beetroot, paired with feta cheese and walnuts
- 250g Beetroot, drained (*See note below for fresh beetroot)
- 150g Feta Cheese or Goat's Cheese
- 8-10 Walnuts
- 1 Tablespoon rapeseed or olive oil
- 1/2 Teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- A scattering of fresh herbs (baby basil or baby coriander)
- Thinly slice the beetroot (I use a knife but you could use a mandolin) and scatter it over a large plate.
- Chop up some walnuts or lightly toasted pine nuts and sprinkle over.
- Crumble over some feta cheese, as much or as little as you like. Goat's cheese would be fine too or even Lancashire cheese.
- Drizzle with rapeseed or olive oil and season with the pepper. Add a few basil or micro leaves to dress.
If using fresh seasonal beetroot, remove any stalks or leaves but leave the beetroot whole and leave the skin on to prevent it from bleeding. Boil in a large pan of water for 1-1/2 hours until tender. Wear plastic gloves and peel the skin off by hand. Alternatively, microwave the beetroot (again, skin on) for 8-10 minutes.