If you enjoy baking and cooking then a good set of measuring scales is an important piece of kit in the kitchen. Before I started blogging, I had a much more relaxed approach to cooking, usually I’d throw things in and measure by eye. But since I now write recipes down as well as test them, accuracy is important. The one thing I have also realised, is that it is handy to have a back-up set of scales. Example in question, a few weeks ago I began the process of making macaroons for the first time (precision weighing required) and the battery on my scales died. Annoying, to say the least.
Anyway, I now have a stock of the correct sized batteries and a new digital weighing/measuring jug, which I am happy with, particularly as it is multi-purpose and doesn’t take up too much extra room.
The Good Points of the All Purpose Measuring Jug
- You can weigh your flour, sugar and dry ingredients as well as measure out liquids in one jug
- Weight meaurement: It weighs in grams, ounces and pounds
- Volume Measurement: It measures in ml, cups and fluid ounces
- Mixing: When a recipe calls for several ingredients (as they often do) it allows you to use a tare function (the ingredients stay in the jug but the display goes back to zero)
The Less Good Points of the All Purpose Measuring Jug
- It is not dishwasher safe (it is only a matter of time before it gets automatically thrown in)
- You have to be ultra careful when washing it to ensure no water gets into the battery or mechanics (this is the case with all electronic kitchen gadgets)
Things to keep in mind: the jug has to be completely flat and stable before it will work properly. If it is not completely flat, or you switch it on whilst waving it around in your hand, the display will read ‘UnSt’ meaning Unstable.
Since I have more and more American and Australian cookery books, this jug is a useful piece of equipment to have to hand. I have found it to be more accurante than using measuring cups. It would also be a good gift for someone who has limited space in their kitchen.
******************GIVEAWAY NOW CLOSED******************
- Like Find Me a Gift on Facebook and/or follow @findmeagift on Twitter and let me know you have done so
- Follow me @RenBehan on Twitter and again leave a comment in the box below to tell me that you have done so, including your Twitter username.
- Like Fabulicious Food on Facebook leave a comment to tell me you have done so.
- Follow Fabulicious Food on Networked Blogs and let me know you have done so
This giveaway is open to all UK readers.
Note: This is a commissioned review. The measuring jug was sent to me by Find-me-a-Gift.co.uk A second jug has been offered to one of my readers as a giveaway prize. The jug is worth £19.99.