It’s almost British asparagus season and so I’ve been looking forward to all the ways that I’m going to be enjoying our native grown asparagus as we roll into spring. I’ve also been experimenting with my new blender to make sauces as well as healthy green smoothies.
With a tiny bit of practice and plenty of tasting along the way, I’ve perfected a two-minute power blender hollandaise sauce, made with fresh egg yolks, butter and lemon juice. Fresh asparagus really needs nothing more, simply snap the spears, blanch in boiling water for two to three minutes and make the sauce. Then pour over and enjoy. You don’t even need a knife and fork – simply smother in sauce, pick up the spears and eat!
NB Please try and use the freshest egg yolks possible and avoid eating when pregnant or serving the sauce to young children.
I’m eating my plateful as I’m typing.
- 125g/1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 2 fresh eggs yolks
- 4 tsps or the juice of half a lemon
- A pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp water
- A bunch of asparagus to serve
- Melt the butter in a saucepan until just melted.
- Put the egg yolks, lemon juice and a pinch of salt into your power blender.
- Blend the egg yolk mixture for one minute - starting on slow and building up.
- Reduce back to slow speed, slowly pour in the melted butter (through the lid plug) and blend again for a further minute. Add a tablespoon of warm water, blend again for a second or two.
- Pour into a smaller jug or pan and serve.
- If you don't use the sauce straight away, you can keep in warm on a very low heat and gently whisk before serving.
- Serve with asparagus, blanched in hot water for three minutes.
More asparagus recipes here
Step by step perfect hollandaise sauce by Izzy Hossack for Jamie Oliver
How to prepare, cook & eat asparagus by Ren Behan for Jamie Oliver
How do you eat yours?!
Disclosure: I am an Ambassador for Froothie UK and was sent an Optimum 9400 Power Blender to use and review at home. Affiliate links included.