Chocolate Rolo Cake – Good Food Channel

If you’re looking for an indulgent chocolate cake – rich, extravagant, impressive yet easy – you’ve found it. I was asked to create a chocolate Rolo Cake for the Good Food Channel and this is it. I’ve made it a few times since it’s original incarnation and it has definitely become something of a request cake! The cake feeds a large crowd, so it’s perfect for a fundraiser, or a coffee morning or perhaps a birthday celebration or a family gathering. Two layers of chocolate cake filled with caramel sauce, covered in a chocolate fudge frosting and topped with a cascade of Rolo caramels and even more caramel sauce. It’s certainly not for anyone observing a Lenten fast or diet! But I can promise you, it is good!

Easy Rolo Cake

Here’s the recipe

Find the recipe for my Rolo Cake here on the Good Food Channel here.

Hosting a Big Chocolate Tea Party?

The Big Chocolate Tea Party is an event hosted throughout April to raise money for The Sick Children’s Trust. If you are taking part, this cake would make the perfect offering.

Easy Rolo Cake

Ren Behan is a freelance contributor to the Good Food Channel – Styling, photos and recipe author’s own.

Let me know in the comments box below if you are brave enough to give this wonderful chocolate Rolo cake a go!

Comments

This cake looks incredible! It has also reminded me that I have not had Rolos in ages…a problem that definitely needs to be rectified soon.

• Ren Behan says

Rolos, a big pile of smashed up Easter eggs, mini eggs – anything can go on top – it’s all good!

That’s quite a cake, Ren! My daughter loves Rolos, and her 18th birthday is coming up (am I really that old??) . This has gone to the top of my list for her birthday bake. I’ll go over to GFC and nab the recipe right now. (You know one of my own healthy-as efforts would not really be suitable on this occasion ;-))

Perfect for Easter, or any other time of indulgence! What’s it like trying to eat the topping? You would have to be careful not to end up with a mouthful of toffee!

• Ren Behan says

Some of the rolos roll off… the caramel sauce is more like dulce du leche so it’s soft caramel rather than hard toffee and if you leave it to get to room temperature it’s pretty soft!

Wow, look at those pictures. I love the idea of this cake, mouthfuls of smooth cake with oozy caramel after a crisp crunch…all indulgent, fun and a bit naughty. wonderful Ren! x