You may have read or noticed that we are in Fairtrade Fortnight (27th February -11th March) and this year, we are being encouraged to Take a Step for Fairtrade – by taking small steps, such as by choosing products marked Fairtrade, to collectively make a difference to Fairtrade producers.
There is a handy form on the official Fairtrade website, which allows you to add the number of steps you’ve taken – the aim is for us collectively to reach 1,500,000 steps. So far the counter is showing 362, 662 so there is a little way to go!
You can add steps that you’ve taken individually, on behalf of a group or for a business or company. Steps include buying a Fairtrade product, trying a Fairtrade product, going to a Fairtrade event, telling people about Fairtrade, talking about Fairtrade online (don’t forget to add #takeastep or #Fairtradefortnight to your tweets!) or fundraising for Fairtrade. So, if you’ve done or are doing any of these things and more, don’t forget to add your steps!
Here’s a lovely cup of hot chocolate, made with Fairtrade Divine Mint Dark Chocolate, to help us on our way.
- 100 g fairtrade mint chocolate bar
- 500 ml whole milk
- 1 heaped teaspoon cornflour
- 100 ml double cream
- sprig fresh mint
- Finely chop or grate the Fairtrade chocolate bar. Leave to one side.
- Gently heat the whole milk in a saucepan, just until it starts to bubble gently. Add in the grated/chopped chocolate and whisk until the chocolate has melted.
- To make it extra thick, stir in the cornflour (mixed with water) into the hot chocolate and again, very gently heat and keep stirring/whisking until it thickens. It will thicken if left to stand to cool, too.
- Pour into two cups or glasses. Rinse the whisk and then whip the double cream with the chopped mint until thick and spoon over the top. Add a sprig of mint to garnish.