Nutella Bread Pudding with Leftover Christmas Panettone

I’m stuck in that very precarious zone of trying to be healthy and good because it’s January and having lots of Christmas treats leftover to get through…what a quandary! The boxes of chocolates have been left well alone, but there was a beautifully wrapped Italian panettone lurking in the cupboard and I really can’t go on eating it every day for breakfast, dipped into a milky coffee, as much as this appeals. We always get at least two boxes of panettone for Christmas. The first one, a delicious chocolate specimen, got demolished almost as soon as it came through the door. The second one survived a little longer. So, when I came across a quick and easy to make bread pudding in Nigella’s Kitchen, using stale bread and chocolate chips, I thought the pannetone would make the perfect substitute and since it was sitting quietly next to the Nutella….

On the positive side, I used half fat double cream (also leftover and only 10p!) and less sugar….

Panettone and Nutella Bread Pudding

Serves 4-6
Prep time 25 minutes
Cook time 40 minutes
Total time 1 hours, 5 minutes
Allergy Egg, Milk, Wheat
Meal type Dessert
Source Child Friendly, Pre-preparable
From book Nigella Kitchen

Ingredients

• 250g Leftover Panettone (cubed)
  • 3 tablespoons Nutella
  • 3 Eggs
  • 2 tablespoons Vanilla Sugar or Light Brown Sugar
  • 125ml Half Fat Double Cream
  • 500ml Semi-Skimmed Milk
  • Knob of butter (to grease the baking dish)

Note

Adapted from Nigella Kitchen

Directions

Step 1
Preheat your oven to 170 degrees celsius. Lightly grease a square or round baking dish with a small amount of butter.
Step 2
Throw your cubed panettone into the dish and drop in a few blobs of Nutella, using a second teaspoon to help scoop it off.
Step 3
Mix the eggs, half fat cream, milk and sugar together until well combined and then pour it over the cubed bread until everything is coated.
Step 4
Leave the panettone to soak in the liquid (around 15 minutes)
Step 5
Put the baking dish into your preheated oven and bake for 40 minutes.
Step 6
The dish will be piping hot so leave it to stand for a few minutes before serving. For some very odd reason, this is also very good eaten cold!

I’m linking this up with January’s Forever Nigella #10 over at Maison Cupcake hosted by Sarah…we were allowed to blog any Nigella recipe.

Also sending this across to the No Waste Food Challenge over at Turquiose Lemons hosted by Kate. The theme was cream.

Picture

And lastly, as it’s ‘family friendly’ and it’s Friday it gets to join Family Friendly Fridays

What have you been eating? Healthy or not so healthy?!

Comments

Christopher Columbus sent tto find a route to the
    Indiews via the west. Paleo diet (ancestral diet)
    which is also called Paleolithic food, Stone Age food or hunter-gathered food was used by our forefathers some ten thousand years ago in
    the Paleolithic era. Let’s watch the Ricky`s video about this Paleo recipe book review.

Thanks Clare, I love my little bowls, so pretty aren’t they? Hope you enjoyed the rest of the weekend. x

This looks delicious! I am impressed that you had both nutella and panettone left,its a danger for me to open either as they disappear too quickly!

Ha ha, there was *some* Nutella left in the jar, which my little one swiped and finished off with her fingers and I was taking photos of this!!!

This is some fabulous bread pudding and really makes panettone even better, right? Gorgeous, delicious and way too hard to stay away from no matter how hard we try. And oooh I forgot about Sarah’s Forever Nigella event (sorry, Sarah) so I’ll try and slip something in before the 28th (maybe a birthday cake… he he he).

Hi Jamie, thanks for popping over. Is it your birthday? If so, I will send you a virtual cake :-) I just made a yummy chocolate one today which I will be posting about soon. Hope you are all well xx

Hard to believe there could be such a thing as leftover pannetone, but as you say there is, I have to believe you! This does seem like a great way to use it up and it looks delicious.

Thank you Choclette. I’m still thinking of my ‘healthy chocolate’ entry for We Should Cocoa – obviously this wasn’t it!!

Yummy, fantastic! I’ve not had a jar of Nutella in the house for ages and I miss it. Thanks for taking part in Forever Nigella!

Hi Sarah, I don’t think could live *without* a jar of Nutella in the house! Just about to come over and link up. Thanks for hosting and popping over x

He he, I know, there’s always that question of what to do with it after a little while. Though this would work well too with brioche or stale bread. The Nutella v chocolate chips makes it a little more fun! Have a lovely weekend. x

Leftover Panettone is a concept I don’t understand! Mind you, it sounds so nice that I’m tempted to go out and buy some more panettone just to make this recipe.

Thank you Mark. It usually goes pretty quickly, but this one was just sitting in the cupboard waiting to be turned into this! Have a great weekend.

Love this recipe Ren (I’ve been trying to eat healthier during the week and allowing treats at the weekend!) and I also love that bowl!!

Thanks Beth – possibly weekend treat then! The bowl is part of my growing PiP collection…I do slightly love the designs :-)

Me too Jude, it is a bit yummy. Always looking out for Nutella recipes and I believe there is a World Nutella Day!