Spring brings the promise of so much inspiring, new seasonal produce. Lots of my blogging friends have already been writing about popping down to their allotments to begin sowing or harvesting! There’s been plenty of rhubarb around (outdoor rhubarb is about to come into season) although there has been some forced British rhubarb finding it’s way into recipes and blog posts, too. In April, we can look forward to wild garlic, along with watercress and spinach. Soon we’ll be seeing Jersey Royals and my all-time favourite seasonal veg – British asparagus.
Thank you for all your March entries to Simple and in Season. Michelle (the Queen of frugal food blogging) over at Utterly Scrummy Food For Families is hosting the link up in April; please be sure to mention us both. The same guidelines apply, blog about any seasonal recipe or produce wherever you are in the world!
This month we had submissions from the UK, Australia, Italy, Germany and Dubai and so the round-up has been an absolute joy! Scroll to the bottom to find out who our winner is…
1. First of all, the lovely Vanesther at Bangers and Mash sent across her recipe for Baked Sea Bass with Ginger, Garlic, Chilli and Miso rice, using in-season fish and some very tasty ingredients. I also really loved the tip of using a cup of Miso soup in place of plain water when cooking rice.
2. Helen at Fuss Free Flavours has been road-testing a brand new sous-vide machine, and so made a bright and seasonal Rhubarb Compote.
3. Camilla at Fab Food 4 All made a Simple Shredless Orange Marmalade – perfect for marmalade making season!
4. Caroline at Caroline Makes joined in with a Cheesy Cod Gratin – incorporating lovely fresh leeks.
5. Next, from Dancing Veggies came a Root Vegetable Lasagna, using up plenty of fresh herbs, carrots, mushrooms and kale with sliced potatoes in place of pasta sheets.
6. Bintu who blogs at Recipes from a Pantry joined us this month, with her recipe for Wild Garlic and Sesame Noodle Salad – divine!
7. Denise at beautifully-named blog Magnolia Verandah (all the way over in Australia) sent across her Labour Day Monday Mousakka – making the most of a public holiday to cook with aubergine, onions, mushrooms and lamb.
8. How good is your Italian? Practice now by reading this lovely post by Rosella who made Asparagi e Soba – or Asparagus with Soba Noodles – grazie!
9. A spring treat now from fusion blogger Nazima over at Franglais Kitchen, who made Lamb Shank, Asparagus, Cauliflower, Potato Millefeuille and a Herb Oliver Sauce for a sous-vide-inspired gourmet treat!
10. Sally at My Custard Pie in Dubai also joined us this month, sharing a recipe for her favourite appetizer – Piedmontese Peppers – using some wonderful ingredients from her local farmers’ market, including peppers and cherry tomatoes, along with raw honey, balsamic, garlic, lemon and herbs.
11. My friends over at ProWare Kitchen were also inspired to blog and join in with Simple and in Season, adding a Creamy Broccoli Soup with Almond Rocket Pesto – using up some Purple Sprouting Brocolli from their veg box.
12. And to end our lovely round-up, a stunning entry from Meeta at What’s For Lunch, Honey – you must have a read of this post and recipe for Rhubarb, Mango and Passion Fruit Brioche Galette. Meeta’s post includes some great commentary and tips on top seasonal spring produce, too.
This month’s winner is……Meeta (entry number 12) because we were so taken by her rhubarb, mango and passion fruit combo!
Thank you so much for all your inspiring entries and lovely comments! Wishing you a happy April.0