As mentioned in my review of I Love to Bake by Tana Ramsay everyone needs a few reliable recipes up their sleeve for cake sales, fundraisers or parties and this recipe is just that. The added bonus is that the cake base can also be made quickly in a food processor.
Tana’s Chocolate Fudge Cake is one of the highlights of her Chocolate chapter, with a light chocolate sponge and a light filling and icing to match. As it’s not too chocolatey this one is perfect for kids and grown-ups alike.
- 175 g Unsalted Butter, Softened, plus extra for greasing
- 150 g self-raising flour, sifted
- 30 g cocoa powder, sifted
- 1 teaspoon Baking powder
- 175 g soft dark brown sugar
- 3 free range eggs, large
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 55 g plain dark chocolate
- 200 g unsalted butter, softened
- 200 g icing sugar, sifted
- 200 g plain, dark chocolate
- Pre-heat the oven to 200C/fan180C/gas mark 6. Lightly grease a 20cm (8 inch) round cake tin and line the base with baking paper.
- Put all the ingredients for the cake base in a food processor, or a large mixing bowl, and process or beat with a wooden spoon, until smooth and slightly pale in colour.
- Pour the cake base into your tin and lightly tap on the work surface to level it out. Bake in a pre-heated oven for 55 minutes, until the sponge springs back when touched or when a scewer placed in the centre comes out clean.
- Take the cake out of the oven and allow it to cool down in the tin for five minutes, then turn out on to a wire rack and leave it to cool down completely.
- In the meantime, make the cake topping/fudge icing. Put the butter and icing sugar in a large mixing bowl and use a hand whisk or an electric whisk to beat it well. Add the melted chocolate and whisk until it is all mixed in together.
- Slice your cooled sponge in half horizontally. Spread half the icing on the top of one cake half, place the second half on top and then spread the rest of the icing thickly over the top of the cake. Decorate however you fancy.
If you make this cake, don’t forget to let me know how you get on!