Stuffed Globe Courgettes with Lamb, Cinnamon and Rice
- 8 small or 4 medium globe courgettes/zuchinni or squash
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 250g or 8 ounces minced lamb
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 150g or 2/3 cup long grain rice
- 250ml or one cup hot stock — lamb or vegetable
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Fresh mint or parsley, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Chop the tops off the courgettes and set aside. Using a small knife or a spoon, carefully hollow out the insides of the courgettes. Chop the flesh, and also put aside.
- Place the hollowed courgettes in a roasting tin, sprinkle with two tablespoons of olive oil and salt and pepper. Roast for 30 minutes. If using a large squash or marrow cook for 10 minutes more at this stage.
- In the meantime, heat the remaining oil in a frying pan. Add the onion and garlic and cook gently for a few minutes to soften. Add the lamb mince and fry until brown, for about five minutes. Add the chopped courgette and cinnamon and cook for another two minutes.
- Stir in the rice and pour in the hot stock. Bring back to the boil and then cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, take the rice off the heat. It should be tender.
- Take the courgettes out of the oven and carefully spoon in the cooked rice mixture. Return to the oven for 10-15 minutes.
- Serve immediately with chopped fresh mint or parsley sprinkled over the top.
Recipe by Ren Behan - Author Wild Honey and Rye at https://www.renbehan.com/2012/10/stuffed-globe-courgettes-with-lamb.html