Quick Risotto-Stuffed Veggies
- Olive oil
- Sea Salt and pepper
- 2-3 bell peppers
- 1 large (beef or plum) tomato
- 2 courgettes/zucchini
- 1 sweet onion, chopped
- 1 stick celery, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and chopped into cubes
- A cupful of frozen peas
- 1 packet quick-to-cook rice, or 250g leftover cooked rice
- 250ml/one cup vegetable stock
- 1 tin of chopped tomatoes
- To garnish - half a courgette and some Parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven 200C/180C fan/gas 6.
- Chop the tops off the peppers and scoop out any seeds. Do the same with the tomato. Cut one of the courgettes in half and using a teaspoon, scoop out the centre. Dice the second courgette for the garnish, keep to one side. Place the prepared veggies in a foil lined baking tin, drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper and bake for ten minutes. Alongside those, spread the diced courgette onto a flat baking tray, drizzle with olive oil and bake for ten minutes, too.
- In the meantime, drizzle some olive oil into a frying pan. Fry the onions for three to four minutes, then add in the celery and carrot and cook for a further few minutes.Throw in the peas and the rice, pour in the stock and add the tinned tomatoes. Season with salt and pepper and simmer for around five minutes. If you are not using pre-cooked rice, you''ll need to cover and simmer the rice until it is cooked - around ten minutes.
- Take the vegetables out of the oven and carefully fill the peppers, tomato and courgettes with the rice mixture. Put the stuffed vegetables back in the oven and bake for a further ten minutes.The vegetables should be soft, take them out and set to one side.
- Serve the baked, stuffed veggies with some of the courgette cubes and a grating of fresh Parmesan cheese.
Recipe by Ren Behan - Author Wild Honey and Rye at https://www.renbehan.com/2014/10/quick-risotto-stuffed-vegetables.html