Asparagus, Smoked Salmon and Cream Cheese Pasta
British asparagus spears, paired with smoked salmon in a simple and quick cream cheese sauce with penne
- 250g/ one cup dried Penne pasta, or other small shapes
- One bunch/one cup fresh asparagus, chopped into one inch pieces
- 200g/ 3/4 cup cream cheese, regular or light
- A glug of olive oil
- 120g (one small packet) smoked salmon
- Fresh dill to garnish
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Bring a large pan of salted water to the boil. Once boiling, add in the pasta shapes and cook for 8 minutes, or according to the packet instructions.
- Two minutes before the end of cooking time, add the chopped asparagus to the water. Take out one cup of pasta water for the sauce. After two minutes, drain the pasta and asparagus.
- Add the cup of pasta water back into the same pan, stir in the cream cheese and a glug of olive oil, season with sea salt and pepper. Add in the cooked pasta and asparagus.
- Stir through the chopped smoked salmon, leaving a few pieces to garnish the top. Sprinkle over the fresh dill and serve immediately.
Recipe by Ren Behan - Author Wild Honey and Rye at http://www.renbehan.com/2014/05/asparagus-smoked-salmon-cream-cheese-pasta.html