Seasonal Cherry and Almond Traybake by Ren Behan
- 225g caster sugar
- 4 large, free range eggs
- 240ml mild, light olive oil or vegetable oil
- 1 tsp almond extract/essence
- Zest of an orange or lemon
- 200g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 40g ground almonds
- 250g or a punnet of fresh cherries, pitted, sliced in half
- Icing sugar to dust and serve
- Pre-heat your oven to 180°C. Line a square baking tin or tray (approx 20 x 20 x 5cm) with baking paper.
- Beat the caster sugar and eggs together for five minutes, until pale and creamy.
- Slowly pour in the oil and beat again. Add the almond extract and mix in well.
- Grate in the zest of one lemon or orange.
- Sift the flour and baking powder into the mixture and carefully mix (with a metal spoon, not mixer) until it is all combined.
- Add in the ground almonds and carefully mix again. Pour in the cake batter. Scatter the halved cherries over the top and push down, leaving some of the cherries visible.
- Bake in the pre-heated oven for 40-45 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Dust with the icing sugar and cut into squares or slices. Serve warm or cool. Keeps well in a tin for up to five days.
Recipe by Ren Behan - Author Wild Honey and Rye at https://www.renbehan.com/2012/07/seasonal-cherry-and-almond-traybake.html