Chocolate and Cherry Bites
- 225g light brown unrefined sugar
- 4 large, free range eggs
- 240ml mild, light olive oil or vegetable oil
- 1 tsp fairtrade vanilla extract/essence
- 200g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 40g cocoa powder
- 200g cherry compote or soft set cherry preserve
- 100g dark or milk chocolate (to drizzle over the top)
- Pre-heat your oven to 180°C. Line a 12 hole muffin tin with paper cases.
- Beat the soft brown sugar and eggs together for a few minutes, until pale and creamy.
- Slowly pour in the oil and beat again. Add the vanilla extract and mix in well.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and cocoa into the mixture and carefully mix (with a metal spoon, not mixer) until it is all combined.
- Using a spoon or an ice-cream scoop, fill the paper cases with the chocolate cake batter to two-thirds full. Take a teaspoon and carefully drop half a teaspoon of fresh cherry compote or soft set cherry preserve into the centre of the batter in each case.
- Bake in the pre-heated oven for 15-18 minutes.
- Take the cakes out of the oven and leave them to cool.
- In the meantime, break up the dark chocolate and place it in a glass bowl over a pan with lightly simmering water in it to melt the chocolate. Once melted, using a teaspoon, drizzle some melted chocolate over the cakes. The more mess the better!
Recipe by Ren Behan - Author Wild Honey and Rye at http://www.renbehan.com/2012/07/chocolate-and-cherry-bites-with-the-new-creations-kitchen-machine.html