Octopus Books have kindly offered three books to giveway to my readers as well as giving me permission to share this lovely recipe called Jossy’s Lemon Pudding Delicious.
This recipe is one of the ‘Friends and Family’ recipes in this book and one that Henry’s great granny Enid handed down to his mother. I love handed-down family recipes and this one is a real treat – we’ll be making it for pudding after Sunday lunch.
I hope you give it a go and also enter the giveway below.
Jossy’s Lemon Pudding Delicious – Posted with the kind permission of Octopus Publishing
This pudding was one that Henry’s great granny Enid handed down to his mother. It was cut out from a newspaper and was called ‘Lemon Pudding’ – next to it Enid had written ‘delicious!’
Serves: 6, Preparation time: 20 minutes, Cooking time: 40 minutes, V
50g unsalted butter, at room temperature, plus extra for greasing
225g golden caster sugar
Finely grated zest and juice of 2 large lemons
4 large free-range eggs, separated
50g self-raising flour
225ml whole milk
½ level teaspoon cream of tartar
Icing sugar, for sprinkling
1. Heat the oven to 180°C/350°F/gas mark 4 and place a roasting tin half-filled with water on the centre shelf to warm up. Butter a 1.5–1.75 litre soufflé or other ovenproof dish.
2. Whisk the butter in a large bowl until soft, then add the sugar and whisk until fluffy. Gradually whisk in the lemon juice, followed by the grated lemon zest and the egg yolks.
3. Sift the flour on to the mixture and stir it in with a metal spoon, then gradually stir in the milk. Whisk thoroughly until very smooth.
4. In a clean bowl, whisk the egg whites with the cream of tartar using an electric hand mixer until they stand in soft peaks. Then, using a metal spoon, fold them gently into the pudding mixture, about a quarter at a time.
5. Pour the mixture into the soufflé dish and stand it in the roasting tin of water in the oven. Bake for 40 minutes, or slightly less in a fan oven, until risen and golden brown on top.
6. Serve hot or cold, with a little icing sugar sifted over the surface if you like.
GIVEAWAY – ENTER HERE TO WIN ONE OF THREE COPIES OF LEON BAKING & PUDDINGS
Ways to enter:1. “Like” the LEON RESTAURANT Facebook Page and leave me a comment on this blog post to tell me you have done so2. Follow Octopus_Books on Twitter and leave me a comment on this blog post to tell me you have done so3. Tweet this post using the button below and leave a comment telling me that you have done so including your Twitter username4. Follow me @RenBehan on Twitter and again leave a comment in the box below to tell me that you have done so, including your Twitter username5. Visit the Fabulicious Food on Facebook and “Like” and leave a comment on this post to tell me you have done so
This giveaway is open to all UK readers.